Friday, December 7, 2012

Christmas Gifts: Princess Crowns


I mentioned earlier that I have 3 nieces. And they are all girly girls which I love since I have a son who is all boy all the time. I love making girly stuff for them too, last year I made them all tutus for Christmas and I wanted something cute to make this year as well. So when I saw the lace crowns on Pinterest I knew that’s what I had to make them! Especially after a phone conversation with my Sister in Law where she told me her youngest told her that her name was Princess Kaitlyn! How stinkin’ cute is that? So I knew princess crowns would be a hit with all of them! You can find the inspiration for my Crowns here at joyfolieblog. I changed some things up to make it a little easier for myself and what I wanted the crowns to be. I can't wait to see the pictures of the girls with their crowns!   

 

Here’s what you’ll need:

2 yards of Lace (makes 4 crowns, I bought 2 different styles so 4 yards total which equals 8 crowns)

1 bottle of Fabric Stiffener (I only used about a 1/3 of the bottle)

Spray Paint in various colors

Glitter

Modge Podge (I didn’t actually use this but you can use it instead of the fabric stiffener or to coat the crowns after the glitter is on I felt like I didn’t need to)

Wax Paper

Glue




Here’s how you make it:

Cut the lace into the sizes you will need for your crown. Mine were 19 and 15 inches. I wanted them to fit on their heads, so they can run around & play with them on! Pour some of the Fabric Stiffener into a bowl and dunk the lace into the bowl, as you pull it out slide your fingers down the length of the lace to remove the excess stiffener, lay on a flat surface covered with wax paper, let dry. (I live in the Pacific North West and its really damp here so I had to let it dry over night) Next you will pour some of the fabric stiffener onto a baking sheet and place the lace on top of it and then turn it over so that you are covering all the lace with the stiffener. Place onto your wax paper and let dry again. Now it should be stiff enough. You are now ready to paint your crowns. I choose spray paint because I just thought it would be a lot easier than using a brush! Lay down some newspaper where ever you are going to be painting so you don’t mess up anything! Paint one side and sprinkle on the glitter, let dry turn over and repeat!  Once your crown is dry to the touch use a glue gun or fabric/ craft glue to glue the crown together. And you’re done and your Princesses are ready for their Coronation!

ENJOY!

4 comments:

  1. My little girl would love a crown like these, thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My nieces LOVED them! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Darling!

    <3 Christina at I Gotta Create!
    Wildly Original linky party is open

    ReplyDelete