Friday, November 16, 2012

Pecan Pie Bars


Today’s post is for my Dad! He LOVES pecan pie! If you ask him what kind of pie he would want for Thanksgiving or Christmas he will more than likely say Pecan Pie! Now this is a hard choice, because my Grandma was the BEST pie maker EVER. Every Holiday she would make so many different pies and they were all AMAZING! Lemon meringue, Chocolate Cream, Coconut Cream, Pumpkin, Apple, and of course Pecan! How I wish that we had thought to write all her recipes down. We’ve tried a bunch of different recipes but none of them ever quite live up to the memory of her pies. Unfortunately she has Alzheimer’s so the recipes are locked away in a place she no longer has the key to. My advice to all of you if you have Grandparents that are still living, write things down now, while they still remember them. Don’t wait; you never know how long you have. Ok sorry got off topic a little. This is supposed to be about PIE and my Dad! I was thinking and looking for new ways to make pecan pie, a few years ago I did a “healthy” pecan pie that was more of a tart, and I don’t know it was ok, but it wasn’t Pecan Pie!  So I found this recipe for Pecan Pie Bars and I thought you know that sounds pretty simple and a much easier way to make pecan pie! I also love that it’s dipped in Chocolate, cause well that just makes it even BETTER! I’m sure my Dad would agree!

Here’s what you’ll need:

2/3 cup Sugar

½ cup Butter Softened

1 tsp Vanilla

1 ½ cups All Purpose Flour

2/3 cup Brown Sugar

½ cup Corn Syrup

1 tsp Vanilla

¼ tsp Salt

3 Eggs

1 cup Chopped Pecans

Semi Sweet Chocolate chips for melting




Here’s how you make it:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 13x9 inch baking pan.  Mix together Butter, Sugar and Vanilla. Then add in Flour and mix until combined.This dough is going to be VERY crumbly. Spread dough evenly into the baking pan, making sure to press it about ½ and inch up the sides. Bake dough for 15 minutes until it starts to lightly brown. While the dough is baking combine the Brown Sugar, Corn Syrup, Vanilla, salt, Eggs, and Pecans. Pour the mixture over the crust.  Bake for 25-30 minutes or until set. Run a knife along the edges of the pan while it is still warm. Allow to cool completely before cutting. Cut into bars and then cut the bars into triangles. To dip in Chocolate, melt chocolate chips with a double boiler and dip one side of the triangle into the chocolate. Set on waxed paper to cool.
 

So these are great and I’m thinking that I may have to send a few to my Dad!

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment