Friday, November 30, 2012

Christmas Tradition


I love Traditions! I think they are what keeps us connected to each other and to our pasts. My Favorite Family Christmas Tradition in our Family is Our Nativity Manger tradition. My Mom had this tradition when my sister and I were growing up and I started it when my son was old enough to understand the concept of a good deed. My Mom has the most beautiful nativity that she painted a gazillion years ago at one of those paint your own ceramics places. I know it’s wrong but I covet that Nativity. It’s was so hard for me to find one that I liked because I was always comparing them to hers and really hers is just gorgeous! I finally found a small one at Wal-Mart, now it is nowhere near as nice as hers but it’s nice enough and most importantly to me the baby Jesus was able to come out of the manger! You have no idea how hard it was to find one like that! Since Jesus is born on Christmas our manger lays empty until Christmas morning, when Santa (I like to incorporate the two and I feel like it keeps CHRIST in Christmas for us) during the night has placed Jesus in his manger.

During the month of December, after our Christmas tree is up, we do good deeds, for each good deed we do we pluck a needle off the tree and place it in the manger, giving baby Jesus a soft place to lay. Now these good deeds are to be done in secret, no boasting about what you’ve done and no making a big deal about putting a needle in the manger. The deeds can be something small, putting your toys away without being asked (actually this one is kinda huge to me) or helping a stranger in some way. Or giving to a food drive or really there are so many ways to do a little good during this time of year. I love it when I catch my son doing a good deed! The whole family can participate it’s not just for the kiddos!

So go out there and get your good deeds on!

ENJOY!                                                                      

                                                                                   

No comments:

Post a Comment