Monday, February 10, 2014

Belgium Waffles with Berry Syrup



When we got married one of our wedding gifts was a heart shaped waffle maker! I love it! It's lasted us for 15 years and I keep thinking it's going to give out and it hasn't yet, which makes me so happy. I actually think I may cry if/when it does finally break! I'm kinda sentimental like that!


Anywho, because we have that waffle maker every Valentines day since we got married I've made waffles! It makes it feel like a special meal even if it's the same waffles I make any other time! 

This year I thought I would jazz things up a bit and try a new waffle recipe. I just learned that Belgium waffles are actually a yeast based dough, who knew right? So I wanted to try that, now my waffle maker isn't a Belgium waffle maker but I really wanted to try this recipe anyway!


Then I decided since it's for Valentines Day they are going to need something more than just traditional maple syrup. I decided a berry syrup would be about right, and to top it all off a little whipped cream! YUM! I mean it is Valentines Day and you know that means that calories don't count! *wink*wink*






Here's what you'll need:

Belgium Waffles:

1 pkg Yeast

1/4 cup warm Milk

3 Egg Yolks

2 3/4 cups warm Milk

3/4 cup Butter, melted and cooled

1/2 cup Sugar

1 1/2 tsp salt

4 cups Flour

3 Egg whites

Berry Syrup:

1 cup mixed berries (I used frozen strawberries and blueberries)

1/2 cup Sugar

Here's how you make it:

Waffles:

In a small bowl dissolve yeast and 1/4 cup warm milk, let stand until creamy. In a large bowl whisk together the egg yolks, butter and 1/4cup of the warm milk. Stir in the yeast mixture, sugar, salt and vanilla. Stir in the remaining warm milk and flour alternately. Beat the egg whites until soft peaks form then fold into the batter. Cover the bowl and place in a warm place. Let rise for an hour until doubled.
Preheat the waffle iron and spray with cooking spray. Place a 1/2 cup of batter into the center of the waffle iron. Cook until golden brown. Or if your waffle iron is like mine until the light goes off. Serve immediately or place in a warm oven until ready to eat.


Syrup:

In a sauce pan combine the berries and sugar, heat over medium heat. Stirring as the sugar dissolves. Keep stirring until the berries break apart and the sauce thickens to a syrup consistency. 

To Serve:
Place hot waffles on a plate and drizzle with the syrup and then top with whipped cream. 

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. These look delicious! So when I come to visit you will make these for me!!!????

    ReplyDelete