Monday, February 3, 2014

Seasonal Eating: Cauliflower



Can you believe it's already February? It's hard to believe that at this time last year I had just said goodbye to the Hubster and was settling into our deployment routine. This year he's home and we are getting into the routine of being in a new Company.

I'm still getting into my routine at home and still trying to figure out how this seasonal eating stuff works! I would love to tell you we are eating only seasonal vegetables and fruits but we're not! I imagine this will get easier as the year goes on, and more produce is available. The winter months are so lean, I'm sure this is why canning used to be such a big deal! How I wish I had a garden and the know how to can things for myself! One day!

I decided to focus on Cauliflower this month, it's one of only two vegetable in season right now. I've seen the recipes for Cauliflower Pizza and I've been intrigued I mean really make the crust from cauliflower? I'm no stranger to using cauliflower in place of things, I've made cauliflower mashed "potatoes" and I've replaced the milk in Mac and Cheese with Cauliflower before too and they've all turned out ok. But really cauliflower as a crust? I was so leery, but it turned out so well! I decided to make "breadsticks" Man-Child LOVED them, he wanted me to make more! The Hubster said it was good but he didn't have seconds, which is my clue that he doesn't LOVE it! He said he'd try it again though. So I may have to play with it some and see if I can improve on it! 

Here's what you'll need:

CRUST:

1/2 head Cauliflower

1 Egg

1 cup Mozzarella, shredded

1 tsp Italian Seasoning

1/2tsp Garlic Powder

1/2tsp Onion Powder

1/2 tsp Salt

TOPPING:

1/2 cup Mozzarella Cheese, shredded

1/2 cup Colby Jack Cheese, shredded

Pinch of Italian Seasoning

Pinch of Garlic Powder

Here's how you make it:

Shred the Cauliflower until it is a fine crumble. Place into a large bowl and microwave on high for 8 minutes. Let the Cauliflower cool. Meanwhile preheat the oven to 400 degrees. After the cauliflower is cool add in the remaining ingredients. Grease a pan or use a non stick pan, I used my pizza stone. 
Form dough on the pizza stone into a 9"-12" circle. Bake for 15minutes, or until golden brown. Then remove the crust and add the Cheese topping. Turn the heat to Broil and return he crust to the oven and bake for 3-5minutes until cheese is bubbly and golden. Cut into strips and serve immediately.



No comments:

Post a Comment