Monday, October 14, 2013

Coffee Table Re-Do

A few months ago I scored a coffee table from a friend for FREE! It was a little banged up and had some paint etc on it from her kiddos. But I knew I was going to do something with it anyway so I took it and... it's been sitting in my living room pushed over to the side ever since! I couldn't decide exactly what I was going to do. I'm kind of indecisive like that! I thought about painting it all white and then criss crossing tape over it and painting the shapes that were made in all different colors but I wasn't too sure the Hubster would love that idea!  He's way more of a Traditionalist than I am! I'm well I guess eclectic would be the right word for me! We have a lot of unique things in our house, but I usually keep the colors kind of muted, except when I did the pictures frames! And the Hubster said he liked it. But he hasn't seen it live and in person yet so we will see how that goes in just a few weeks! I actually think he will like it!

So I decided to keep the coffee table more basic, and but still wanted it to be a fun piece, so I decided to try Chalkboard paint! I am loving it so far, I mean what's not to love we can draw on it, leave each other notes on it, play games on it! And when family and friends come over they get to get in on the fun of it too! I actually want to chalkboard paint everything now, thank Goodness we live in a rental! But I'm not sure any of our furniture is safe ;)

Here's what I did:

First I sanded down the table with. Fine grit sandpaper. I wanted to just smooth everything out and give the paint something to stick to! Then I cleaned all the dust off with. Damp paper towel. I let everything dry and then applied my first coat. Now you can and probably should apply a primer but I didn't! I ended up applying 3 coats and let it dry for about 3-4 hours in between each coat. Then you need to let it alone for 3 days to "cure" after that you take a piece of chalk and rub it over the entire surface area that you painted. Erase it and you are ready to start using your chalkboard table! 
                                                                                                Enjoy

What is one thing you would paint with Chalkboard Paint if you could? 

No comments:

Post a Comment