Monday, May 20, 2013

Taco Salad



When the Hubster and I first got married he wouldn't eat very many veggies. I'm talking peas, corn and green beans that's it! Salads were out of the question. So I gradually started introducing him to new veggies, like broccoli with cheese sauce, had to have the cheese sauce! Then I would only put a little but of cheese on it and finally none at all, and now he eats broccoli all the time. I did this with other things too like lettuce, he hated salad! But I really like to have a salad with dinner and we finally figured out that he likes green leaf lettuce and ONLY green leaf, not iceburg, not romain! So one night after he had been eating salads for quite awhile I decided to make taco salad, you know with the Doritos and taco meat and French dressing! Well he actually liked it, but asked if I could try it next time with Ranch dressing, so I did and we all liked it! I love that he is eating healthier now! Well at least when he's at home!
I decided to make the traditional taco salad a little healthier! Subbing spinach for the lettuce and ground turkey breast for the ground beef.

Here's what you'll need:
1/2 lb ground Turkey Breast
1 pkg Taco Seasoning
1 small bag Spinach
1 Tomato
1 can Kidney Beans
Ranch Dressing
Doritos Cool Ranch Chips
1/2 cup Shredded Cheese (your choice, I used a Colby/Jack blend)










Here's how you make it:
Brown turkey in a medium skillet then add taco seasoning and water. Let cook for a few more minutes and then let cool slightly. Meanwhile in a large bowl, combine the spinach, tomato and beans. Then add the Taco meat. Add in the chips I use about two handfuls and crush them up as I put them in the bowl. Then sprinkle on the cheese and pour on the Ranch Dressing, using as much as you think you need! You want it to lightly cover the rest of the ingredients but not coat everything! Toss the salad together and serve. You can also add the dressing to individual servings of the salad to limit the amount of dressing used!

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment