Monday, July 22, 2013

Sun Dried Tomatoes in Oil


I haven’t put a garden in since we PCS’d to Washington. I’m not sure why, every summer I wish I had the yummy vegetables that I used to grow in Missouri. I really wish I had put at least tomatoes in this year. UGH! Best laid plans and all that right? I am fortunate that we have a great Farmers Market though! It's so crazy how good all the veggies and fruit from the Farmers Market are! And our Farmer's Market always has these great bunches of fresh cut flowers that are beautiful and so cheap inexpensive. I'm talking 5-10 for beautiful bouquettes. Anyways, back to the Tomatoes,  I found this recipe for Sun Dried Tomatoes in this recipe and craft book that I have called "Homemade Treats" I so wish I had freshly grown tomatoes for this but I don’t. I also wish I would have remembered to buy the tomatoes from the Farmers Market for this recipe but alas I didn't do that either. Instead I bought them at Costco! Ok on to the recipe...

Here’s what you’ll need:

6lbs Tomatoes

6 TBSP Salt

3TBSP Sugar

3TBSP dried Basil

4 Cloves Garlic

2 Sprig Rosemary

12 oz Olive Oil









Here’s how you make it:

Slice Tomatoes in half, place on a rack on top of a cookie sheet. Sprinkle the salt sugar and basil over the top of the tomatoes. Set the oven to the lowest temperature setting. Cook the tomatoes for about 15 hours until they are dried to the consistency of dried apricots. Let them cool and then place them into a jar, along with the Rosemary and Garlic. Fill the Jar with the Olive Oil covering everything. Place a lid on it and store for 2-3 days before using.

ENJOY!

1 comment: