Monday, March 10, 2014

Tamale Pie


It’s that time of year when I want easy comfort food. Day light savings has just started and since we lost an hour of sleep I feel like I’m in zombie mode?! I love the extra day light in the evenings and for me it means one step closer to Summer so I’m not mad at it, just need a few days to get used to it. But I still want to provide a healthy satisfying dinner for my guys every night.

Tamale Pie fits that bill for me. It’s pretty simple and yet totally filling at the same time. My Mom used to make this for us and while this isn’t her exact recipe, only because I didn’t call her and ask for it this time I just made it as I went. It’s pretty close in flavor to me.




Here’s what you’ll need:

Filling:
1lb Hamburger
2 cans tomato sauce
2tsp Diced Dried Onions (or ½ fresh onion, diced)
3TBSP Chili Powder
1TBSP Adobo Seasoning
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 can Black Beans
1 cup Frozen Corn
1 can (14oz) Olives (we were out and I really wish I had remembered to get them)

Topping:
¾ cups Corn Meal
1 ¼ cups Flour
¼ cup Sugar
½ tsp Salt
1 cup Milk
1 Egg
¼ cup Vegetable Oil
½ cup Shredded Cheese (save for the end)

Here’s how you make it:

In a skillet over medium heat, brown the Hamburger and onions, add in the Tomato Sauce, Chili Powder, Adobo Seasoning, Salt and Pepper. Let cook for about 10 minutes then add in the corn, beans and olives. Let cook another 10 minutes.
Meanwhile in a mixing bowl combine all the ingredients for the topping. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Pour the Filling into a deep baking dish. Then pour the Topping over covering the filling completely.
Bake for 15 minutes then top with the Cheese. Finish baking for another 10-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let cool for about 5 minutes before serving.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment