Friday, April 18, 2014

Burlap Cross


I saw these burlap crosses on Pinterest and I knew I was going to have to make myself one. The link was to an Etsy shop so there isn't a tutorial. But I figured from the picture I could probably figure out how to make it, or at least something close to it.

The tricky part for me was figuring out how to get a cross in the shape and size I wanted. I found a wooden one at Hobby Lobby and decided to use that for my pattern. I traced it and then cut my fabric to match.


The burlap fabric is a kind that has a backing on it so it's a little sturdier. Then I decided for the middle print I wanted navy chevrons.I cut both fabrics out to be the same size and then used batting between the burlap and chevron. Stitch the chevron fabric on top the burlap, this is a little tricky. Especially for me since sewing in NOT my strong suit. And as you can see it's not exactly even! I'm not sure if it's my sewing or my cutting that ended up being the issue. I still like it and maybe I'll make another one and try to get it perfect!


To attach it to the door I used a silver wire that I had and I glued it onto the back with E 6000. Then I embellished it with a premade flower clip.

The great thing about this cross is that you can really personalize it to your preference. I went with non traditional Easter colors so I can have it up any time.

2 comments:

  1. This is really pretty. and I can imagine many different things for this, from Easter flowers, to Christmas colors, to red white and blue! What a clever idea that could lead to lots of wonderful decorations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I'm thinking maybe a flag for July 4th!

      Delete