Monday, April 14, 2014

Seasonal Eating: Creamed Peas




One more week until Easter, well really less than a week now. As I was trying to decide what to make for this month’s Seasonal Eating I thought it might be nice to do something that you could include for Easter dinner. From the list of vegetables that are in season this month I chose Spring Peas. I think peas are a great vegetable and there are so many different ways to serve them. I almost always buy frozen peas and never canned, I just can’t get over the mushy texture of canned peas. I was excited to see that peas are in season already. However there were none at any of my local grocery stores.


But now I really wanted to make creamed peas. So I decided to go ahead and just use my frozen peas. This would however be great with fresh peas. It is a great side dish, which can easily be doubled or tripled depending on your crowd.


Here’s what you’ll need:

1 cup Peas (fresh or frozen)
1 cup Water
1 tsp Salt
1 can Evaporated Milk
1 TBSP Butter
1 TBSP Flour
Salt and Pepper to taste


Here’s how you make it:

In a sauce pan combine the peas and water and salt, bring to a boil, let boil for about 2 minutes. Drain. In the same sauce pan add the butter and let it melt, then add the peas back in. Sprinkle on the flour and stir until combined. Add in the Milk and continue to stir. The sauce will thicken in just a few minutes. Add salt and pepper and serve.



Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment