Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Blackberry Jam


This summer we got to pick blackberries at my Mom’s they are all over the place down there! Actually funny story when I was about 10 I got in trouble for something, no idea what it was now, and my punishment was to pick a small bowl of berries, well I decided that I would be “smart” and just use the berries my Mom had already picked that were in the fridge. Well of course my Mom found out and so my punishment for lying about the berries was that I had to pick the berries for a whole week. We had blackberries forever after that and actually I became really good at making Blackberry pies. But I never learned to make Blackberry Jam. So this summer my Mom taught me how to make the Jam!
Man -Child and my nephews picking berries
My Sister got in on the berry picking  and  ended up pruning the berry vines to get to all the good berries!
My niece was over berry picking, she wanted to go jump on the trampoline!

Here’s what you’ll need:

10 cups Blackberries

14 cups Sugar

2 pkgs Pectin

Jars and Lids for canning (we ended up with 12 jars)








Here’s how you make it:

Rinse your berries. Place them into a large pot and mash them, if you want you can strain the berries to reduce the amount of seeds in the Jam, I didn’t do this step. Measure out your sugar and set aside. Place your clean jars and lids in a water bath simmering on the stovetop. Turn the stove to high and bring the berries and pectin to a boil, stirring constantly. When it comes to a full boil, that can’t be stirred down, add the sugar and keep stirring and bring it to a full boil again. Remove from heat, and scoop out the foam on top. Grab a jar from the water bath and pour the jam into the jar being careful to not get any on the rim. Wipe the rim and place on the lid and tighten down the ring. Set on the counter to let it seal. It is sealed when you hear it “pop” You can also push down on the lid if it doesn’t go in it isn’t sealed. If it doesn’t seal you will need to refrigerate the Jam.

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment