Monday, August 5, 2013

Feeding Soldiers: Pulled Pork Sandwiches and Coleslaw


I was asked to head up our Battalions dinner for the Fisher House this month. Usually I just bring a dessert or a side dish but this month the fellow Army Spouse that usually does the main dish was going to be out of town. So I said sure I would love to make the main dish! I thought Pulled Pork Sandwiches and Coleslaw would be a great summer dinner for the families who are staying at the Fisher House. I know I’ve said it before but I really love being able to give back in this way. The Families appreciate it so much, and I know if God forbid I were ever in that situation knowing that I didn’t have to think about or plan dinner for that evening would be such a load off?!

Here’s what you’ll need:

Pulled Pork

11 lbs of Pork Loin

Salt

Pepper

1-2 tsp Onion

1-2 tsp Garlic Powder

2-3 cups Barbeque Sauce

2-3 dz buns

Coleslaw        

1 head Cabbage

½ head Red Cabbage

Shredded carrots

1 cup Mayonnaise

2TBSP Apple Cider Vinegar

½-1 tsp Sugar

Salt & Pepper to taste



Here’s how you make it:

Place the Pork Loins and all the ingredients for it except the BBQ sauce into a large Crockpot and cook for 6-8 hrs on Low, or until pork falls apart when you touch it with a fork. Remove Pork from the Crockpot and “pull” it, using two forks to separate the meat. Place back into the Crockpot with the BBQ sauce and set the temperature to warm until ready to serve.


For the Coleslaw:

Mix the Mayonnaise, Vinegar, salt and pepper and sugar all together in a small bowl. Chop the Cabbage into the size you want, I like mine a little thicker you could say! Place the Cabbages, and carrots into a large bowl, then drizzle the Mayonnaise mixture over top, stir to combine thoroughly. Cover and refrigerate.


To serve place some of the pork onto a bun and then place a scoop of coleslaw on top! 


ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment