Monday, May 12, 2014

Healthy Meals: Green Smoothies




At the beginning of the year I did a Green Smoothie Challenge. I was surprised to find that I really liked it! I thought for sure it was going to be gross and that I was going to be able to taste the spinach. But you really can’t! I found that it was really about finding the right fruits to mix to make something you would like to drink! Now I have to warn you these drinks don’t always look appetizing. Man Child would sometimes look at me like what in the world is that! And the Hubster? Forget about it. He wanted nothing to do with the smoothies. He would try them when he was home on the weekends but often it was barely a sip. By playing around with the recipes and adding things we liked I did find one that we all really liked.




Here’s what I liked about doing the Challenge I liked that I was getting so much fruit and veggies at one time! I also liked that it was a really quick breakfast! I don’t do them every day anymore but they are on a regular rotation for breakfasts. Give these smoothies a try you might be surprised how good they are!




The key to remember is to make sure you have at least one frozen fruit to add to each smoothie. It really makes a difference. I always throw my bananas that are getting a little brown into the freezer! 


Ingredients:

1 cup fresh Spinach
1 cup Milk (I used fat free but you can use what you like)
1 Banana (frozen)
1 TBSP Peanut Butter (any nut butter will work I’ve made it with almond butter)
1 TBSP Cocoa Powder
1 TBSP Honey (optional)
1 TBSP Flaxseed

Directions:

In a blender first combine the milk and the Spinach, blend until the spinach is no longer chunky. Then add the remaining ingredients and blend until smooth. Pour into a glass and serve.

Enjoy


No comments:

Post a Comment