Wednesday, April 24, 2013

DIY Shrinky Dinks



When I was a little girl we used to make Shrinky Dinks all the time! And it was an awesome art/science project. I mean how cool was it that this thing I colored could turn into something else? And it SHRINKS! Like WOW! If you were truly lucky your stove had a glass front with a light so that you could see the amazing transformation taking place! My stove doesn’t have a light or a glass front so I kept opening the oven to watch it. I swear I’m still a little kid sometimes. I made mine into charms and then realized as I was getting ready to make it that I have lost all of my jump rings. I did do a little bracelet by knotting embroidery thread through the holes, it's ok looking I don't love it and I made it super small on accident so a niece is probally going to end up with it. Man-Child was busy with homework and didn’t help me make these this time, but after he saw how cool it was he totally wanted to make some! Probably not hearts and stars but ya know something WAY cooler! So if you wanna be cool like me…

Here’s what you’ll need:

Plastic take out containers Recycle#6

Permanent Markers

Scissors

Shape Punches

Hole Punch (if you want to be able to make jewelry)

Parchment Paper

Cookie Sheet





 
Here’s how you do it:

Wash and dry plastic container. Pre heat oven to 350 degrees. Cut the container so that you have 1 flat piece. Draw on the plastic all over it. I drew some flowers and then just scribbled. I think that gave it a nice random look that I like but you can always draw a picture where your shape is going to be. Punch out shapes with Shape Punches, or you can cut out your own shapes by hand. If you want to be able to make charms punch a hole in two sides so that you can hook a jump ring through. Lay parchment paper on a cookie sheet. Place your shapes on the cookie sheet, bake for a few minutes. Watch them closely. They will start to curl up don’t worry they are supposed to do this; they are done when they flatten back out!

ENJOY!

3 comments:

  1. What a neat craft to do with kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really is and you can do this with kids of all ages! Would even be a great craft for Dad's to do with the kids for Mother's Day (hint hint)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Visiting from Monday Funday. I'd like to invite you to my Friday Flash Blog, where you can share your best blog entry of the week! The party goes on ALL weekend at thejennyevolution.com. And who knows, you may just get featured next week.

    Jennifer
    thejennyevolution.com

    ReplyDelete