Friday, April 19, 2013

Grandmas Apricot Bars


This has been a really hard week. First the Boston Marathon tragedy happened and then my Husbands Grandmother passed away. It’s been so emotional for me. For some reason I can’t explain both the Boston and Newtown tragedies have hit me so hard. I’m not sure if it’s because I’m a mom now and children were involved or if it’s because I’m just more attuned to the world around me. I don’t know what it is but these two events have really struck a chord with me and my heart aches for the families of all the victims.

 My Husband and I have now both lost a Grandmother this year, and I think it’s so hard for us to come to terms with it. I believe in God and in Heaven and I believe that they are there now rejoicing. And while that gives me great comfort at the same time I am just so sad for myself. Both of these women were true leaders of their families, the glue that held us all together. It’s hard knowing we will not get to visit with them the next time we go home. So when I get upset I bake. And I know that my Grandma would love this recipe, and I like to think my Husbands Grandma would like them too, so I decided to name them Grandma's Apricot Bars.

 It’s super easy just a few ingredients that I almost always have on hand. And it’s so yummy! For some reason I feel like it’s good for you too even though it so isn’t. I think it’s the oats and jam that makes me think that way which is kind of funny, but well we can always pretend right?

 


Here’s what you’ll need:

         

1 cup packed light brown sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt

2 cups rolled oats                                

1 cup butter, softened

1 jar apricot jam

 







Here’s how you make it:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease one 13x9  pan
Combine brown sugar, flour, baking soda, salt, and rolled oats. Rub in the butter using your hands or a pastry blender to form a crumbly mixture. Press 2 cups of the mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan. Spread the jam to within 1/4 inch of the edge. Sprinkle the remaining crumb mixture over the top, and lightly press it into the jam.
Bake for 35 to 40 minutes in preheated oven, or until lightly browned. Allow to cool before cutting into bars

 

No comments:

Post a Comment