Friday, September 20, 2013

Black Forest Cake


So My Birthday was yesterday! And I’m 29 again! Actually I don’t have issues (yet) with my age, I’m 36 and proud! Some days I feel everyone of those 36 years and others I’m like what 36 pshaw I’m still in my 20’s at least! Of course the Hubster is gone and it’s my birthday, I’m not sure but I think he may plan it this way he’s missed almost all of my birthday’s since we’ve been married! So I’ve gotten used to it at this point and I actually consider it an extra present if I get to have him home for my Birthday, but shh don’t tell him that or he might not get me anything the next time he’s home for my Birthday! Ok so, I think birthday’s are special and I think if your Spouse is gone or maybe you’re a Single Mom, whatever the case may be, if you have kiddos at home, when your Birthday rolls around, be sure to make a big deal out of it! We do it for them right? Well I really feel that we need to teach our kids that we are important too! So sometimes that might mean that you have to bake the cake for yourself! Go ahead and do it! Yes it’s slightly depressing but here’s the thing, it shows the kids that YOU matter too! If you don’t like to bake, go buy a cake, it doesn’t matter! If your kids are old enough maybe they bake the cake for you, however it has to happen it doesn’t matter! Just remember to CELEBRATE! I also, now that Man-Child is old enough, have him go and buy me a present! It’s not just because I like to get presents, which I mean I do, but it’s really about teaching him to think of others! This year I decided to make my cake and I LOVE Black Forest Cake! It’s soo good! I haven’t made one before but this turned out REALLY GOOD!

*Side Note: Traditional Black Forest Cake uses a cherry liquor that is brushed on top of the cake layers, and the cherries are also soaked in it over night. I chose to leave it out this time.*

Here’s what you’ll need:
Cake
1 Box Devils Food Cake Mix, make according to package directions
(You can make the cake from scratch but I decided to save myself a little time!)

Cherry Filling
2 (20 ounce) cans pitted sour cherries
1 cup white sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Frosting
3 cups heavy whipping cream
 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar 












 Here’s how you make it:


Cake:
 Grease two 9 inch, round, cake pans; cover bottoms with waxed paper. Bake according to package directions. Cool layers in pans on wire racks 10 minutes. Loosen edges, and remove to racks to cool completely.

Filling:
Drain cherries, reserving 1/2 cup juice. Combine reserved juice, cherries, 1 cup sugar and cornstarch in a 2 quart saucepan. Cook over low heat until thickened, stirring constantly. Stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla. Cool before using.

Frosting:
Combine whipping cream and confectioner's sugar in a chilled medium bowl. Beat with an electric mixer at high speed until stiff peaks form.

Assembly:
With long serrated knife, even up the layers cutting the “dome” off the top of each layer. Tear the dome pieces into crumbs; set aside. Reserve 1 1/2 cups Frosting for decorating cake; set aside. To assemble, place one cake layer on cake plate. Spread with 1 cup frosting; top with 3/4 cup cherry topping. Top with second layer of cake. Frost the side of cake. Pat reserved crumbs onto frosting on side of cake. Spoon reserved frosting into pastry bag fitted with star tip. Pipe around top and bottom edges of the cake. Spoon remaining cherry topping onto the top of the cake. Let cake chill until you are ready to serve.

Enjoy

2 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious, but a lot of work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is and it isn't! Make the cherry filling while the cake is cooking and the whipped cream pretty much does itself in the mixer! Plus aren't we worth it! :)

      Delete