Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Welcome Home Ideas


If you’ve been following my blog the past few months you know that the Hubster is deployed, but he’s coming home soon! HURRAY! YIPEE! I’m super excited and a little nervous. There are always the questions, how has he changed? Is he gonna be ok? Etc. even though we’ve been through this several times it’s always the same nerves! I know he has the same questions too. The transition home can be daunting especially if it’s your first deployment. But there are a lot of things you can do to make it go smoother!
These are the moments we LIVE for! 

The first thing I always do is make sure I have all of his toiletry items ready for him. His favorite Body Wash, Shampoo, Deodorant, Toothbrush, Shaving Cream and Razors. I do this for 2 reasons, first I don’t want him to have to dig through his bags to find it all, and second, it makes him feel more at home!

Next when he is still deployed I ask him what he is going to want to eat for his first meals! I have him choose Breakfast Lunch and Dinner, you never know what time they are going to make it in and I like to be prepared!

I also have some of his favorite things to eat or drink in the house, like Coffee and Creamer! Maybe some Beer & Vodka & Jack Daniels! Sounds like a lot right? But I want him to have choices! I will have his favorite chips stocked up and the lunch meat that he likes as well.

I would recommend that if you moved any of his stuff, for example his clothes out of the closet, that you share, put them back! I don’t do this because we don’t share a closet in this house! The closets are too small and well there isn’t room to share! I did use his pillows when we had guests this summer and I haven’t put them back on our bed yet, so I will need to do that!

I also suggest making sure the house is neat. Now I know if you have littles this is sometimes easier said than done, BUT it is nice for them to walk into a clean house, even though they are going to destroy it with all their Army gear just a few minutes later! If you want to decorate it for his coming home or if you just want a sign out front that’s a great idea! If you go to buildasign.com/troops you can have a Welcome Home sign made for free you just pay shipping!

It really is the little things that make up a good reunion. Remember to LOVE them! And be Understanding, and if your Service Member is having issues adjusting encourage him to talk to someone there are so many resources available to our Service Members! In our reintegration training, one speaker mentioned the Medal of Honor recipient SSG Carter. He is a Medal of Honor Recipient and he has PTSD, and he got help, so if he can than they can!

Above everything else Enjoy your Service Member being home again!

No comments:

Post a Comment