Friday, October 26, 2012

Puffy Intestines


Keeping with my Gross Food theme this week, I thought let’s make some intestines! I saw this great recipe on Pinterest! And thought hey that’s a great idea let’s give it a try... And I figured even if it doesn't "look" great it should still taste great unlike my Jell-O mess the other day... The original recipe can be found at theknead4speed.

 

Here’s what you’ll need:

Puff Pastry (entire 17.3 oz package)

1lb Hamburger

2-3 Potatoes

1-2 Carrots

1 Can Cream of Mushroom Soup

Seasonings

1 Egg beaten

Ketchup

9x13 Baking Dish

Parchment Paper


 
 
 
 
 This step is a little tricky pull at the dough to get it to go around the filling
I almost had too much to fit my pan! Just keep scrunching it in!
 

Here’s how you make it:

Thaw the Puff Pastry according to the package directions. Meanwhile, brown the Hamburger in a sauté pan. Add the Potatoes and Carrots and cook until they are tender. Add in Salt and Pepper and Garlic and Onion Powder. Next add the Cream Soup. Just stir until the soup is warmed.

Lay out the puff Pastry and divide each sheet of puff pastry lengthwise into 6 strips, so that you have 12 strips when you are done. Lightly flour the counter or other surface and lay 4 strips end to end. (I did 3 rows of 4 strips) Press and seal the seams between strips. Spread the Hamburger filling down the entire length of the dough, leaving a bit of space on each side to pinch closed. Pinch the entire length of the dough closed, stretching the dough slightly around the filling as you go. Carefully lift "intestine" into Baking Dish that you’ve lined with Parchment Paper, seam-side down, and form an “intestine-like” pattern. Cover the pastry with the egg wash. Bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees until golden brown! When it’s done squirt Ketchup along the grooves.

*a little side note, if I was to make them again I would probably just do 3 strips from each sheet of pastry, might be a little thicker "intestines", but it would be so much easier to close around the filling!

ENJOY!

 

 

2 comments:

  1. Gross! But did you like it when it was all done? This makes me wish I had kids at home to make these for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They were really good! I would consider making them again in a non intestine shape for just an everyday kind of meal!

    ReplyDelete