Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Chapman's Gem & Mineral Shop


You want to know one of my Favorite places in the whole wide world? It’s Chapman’s Gem and Mineral Shop and Museum! Ok, ok, so it’s my family’s business, but that doesn’t make it any less my favorite place. My Grandparents, Buzz and Charlotte Chapman, started the shop back in the 1960’s. Well they had had other shops in other locations but the one that I know and love was started in 1963 in Fortuna, California. It was mostly ran by my Grandma as my Grandpa had to work to support their “Rock habit” But my Grandpa would cut and polish rocks for customers. He made spheres, cabochons, and slices.  My Mom and Step Dad (Sharon & Lyle Brown) took over the daily running of the business in 2001 and the Shop has just continued to grow and become even more amazing. They added on a Gallery which has some of the more rare stones and the larger ones as well. They are in the process of adding a new wing onto the museum, that when done is going to be so amazing. For more information about the history of the shop and some great photos, check out their website chapmansgemandmineralshop.com
 
My Grandparents in thier first Shop!
 

 IF you are a rock hound as they call them you will be enthralled at the amount of different gems and minerals in their private collection as well as the different varieties they have for sale. If you aren’t a rock hound per se check it out anyway, there is truly something for everyone, jewelry, book ends, wood carvings, fossils I mean there is so much to look at that it’s hard to see everything in one visit! Every time I go home I get the chance to check out what’s new. They are continually adding new items.

I have so many memories of the Shop as we call it. My sister and I would “work” in the shop when we were younger; somehow we always ended up in the house baking cookies? I think it was to get us out of the way J we also stuffed our share of Grab Bags! Which are awesome little goodie bags filled with treasure! When I moved back home in 2005 while the Hubster was on an unaccompanied tour in Cuba I worked at the Shop for real! It was such a great learning experience. You would be surprised at how many different rocks there are!

It really is a great place to take your kids, your friends or yourself! The great thing is that the museum, that really rivals any rock displays in any major museum, is completely free. This is how my Grandpa wanted it he wanted everyone to be able to see these awesome stones.

So if you are ever in Northern California along the coast, in the land of the Giant Redwoods, take a trip over to Chapman’s you will not be disappointed!

ENJOY!                        

2 comments:

  1. I agree this place is amazing! If you ever get the opportunity you need to go there. I was in awe of all the amazing things they have in the store and the museum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it just gets better every time we go!:) You'll have to go again this summer...

      Delete