Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Grandpa G's Beef & Noodles


Since the Hubster is getting ready to Deploy.  I always make him some of his favorite foods before he goes. One of his favorites is Beef and Noodles. His family LOVES Beef & Noodles. In fact it was the first meal I ever ate with them! His Grandpa used to make the best Beef and Noodles EVER! He made homemade noodles that were sooo good. I’ve tried to make them and it’s just never close to how good his were! I’m not sure anyone makes them as well as he did! Every time I make this dish it reminds me of him! We call it Grandpa G’s Beef & Noodles! I’m not sure I even make it the way he did but the Hubster says it’s pretty close!

 Now be forewarned this is a carb heavy dish! We serve the Beef & Noodles over wait for it…. MASHED POTATOES? Crazy right? I thought so too, and really we almost never make it with the mashed potatoes because well who needs that many carbs in one meal? BUT when the Hubster is leaving he gets what he wants! Some of the people in his family also choose to put cottage cheese on top on the beef, noodles and mashed potato… This is not something I can stomach though. I think it’s a mid western thing? I don’t know they eat cottage cheese on EVERYTHING! (Man-child and I gag a little when we think of it) I like cottage cheese just not on my food, with a salad, or some fruit maybe but that’s where I draw the line! Man-child won’t even touch the stuff which may or may not be because I accidently gave him some that was, unbeknownst to me, expired, yeah I know…

Anyways, I do love Beef and Noodles and I do even love it with the mashed potatoes, my thighs not so much but for 1 meal that makes the Hubster so happy I can make the sacrifice ;)

Here’s what you’ll need:

1lb Beef Roast

1 tsp Garlic Powder

2 TBSP Beef Better than Bouillon

2 Cups Water

¼ tsp Black Pepper

2- 16oz packages Frozen Egg Noodles

Here’s how you make it:

Trim fat from the Roast. Heat a skillet over medium heat spray with cooking spray, Place the Roast in the skillet and brown on all sides. Remove Roast from the skillet and transfer to a crock pot. To the Crockpot add the Garlic Powder, Bouillon and Pepper. Cover and let cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours. When the Roast is done cut the roast into large pieces and transfer it along with the juices to a large sauce pan, you may need to add more water. Stir in the noodles and turn the heat to medium-high. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for about 20-25 minutes until the noodles are soft. Serve over Mashed Potatoes or just by itself!

ENJOY!

4 comments:

  1. the cottage cheese and noodles are something you would of had to grow up with. My son loves it this way and he is like the rest of the family and eats cottage cheese on almost everything. Something else we got from Grandpa G.

    ReplyDelete